Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Monster Jam


In my house if you say Monster Jam and Grave Digger, it is synonymous with one another. Monster Jam is an event where souped up trucks take on one another in exciting jumps. Grave Digger is the name of one of the tucks, and the drawing card for this event. My sons and my grandchildren love watching the monster trucks. They love the names and the color of the vehicles and the noise. My one grandson has the whole collection of monster trucks.

If you are looking to spend an interesting few hours at the Monster Jam event...don't expect it to be quiet or to be able to hear one another. Expect lots of noise and definitely expect to be entertained. The Monster Jam usually takes place in the arena with colorful trucks on enormous truck tires competing with one another. The noise is deafening and the fans should wear earplugs. Occasionally, there is the strong smell of diesel fuel in the air. The trucks pretty much fly through the air and crush the beat up cars that are grouped on the dirt floor.

It is a different way to spend 2 to 3 hours with your family and enjoy the show. Trucks with names like Brutus, Spike, Bulldozer, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle are crowd pleasers. But the real winner and all time crowd favorite is a black and green truck, sporting a skull on the side called - Grave Digger. Grave Digger usually ends up with the most points from the races, and the winner of the event. This year was no different.

I spent the afternoon at Monster Jam with two of my sons and four grandchildren. Between the pop, bottled water, and stale nachos with cheese, we enjoyed the trucks spin around the arena, fly over the cars, and smash them on their leaps. It was pretty cool to watch those monster trucks spin around and kick up the dirt as they showed off to the crowd's delight. I think that might have been my favorite part of the entertainment. In between, there were the quad races with Team Pennsylvania coming out as the ultimate winner.

The crowd was as colorful as the trucks. Some of the little fans wore Grave Digger hats shaped like trucks. The hats came along with the purchase of cotton candy. One interesting side show was watching one man walk down the steps and having his pants fall down. I laughed and turned my attention back to the arena and continued to watch the event.

It was fun, off the wall contrived entertainment. It was loud, but worth it. It was not just truck competition, but a show. It was a totally different event then the ones that I am used to and you know something, once I got into the show, it was great! I enjoyed it as much as my 6, 8, and 9-year-old grancdhildren. What can I say - I'm a sucker for something totally different and unusual. I am looking forward to going to the Monster Jam next year.

If you have ever been to a Monster Jam, what are your thoughts about this event?

2 comments:

  1. Love the photo. Bravo to you for stepping outside the "norm."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...it was different and I had fun with the family. Now how do I top this one! I have to think about it.

    ReplyDelete