Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Buzzard Sunday in Hinckley, Ohio


Buzzard Day in Hinckley, Ohio, is officially on March 15. Every year the Buzzards, or Turkey Vultures, fly back from their winter residence to their permanent summer home in Hinckley, just like clockwork. This phenomenon has been going on since 1957.

On the following Sunday after the Buzzards arrive, it is designated Buzzard Sunday. Naturalists and rangers are on hand at the Buzzard Roost, which is located in Hinckley Reservation, to hand out literature, answer questions, and share stories. This year, my daughter and I attended Buzzard Sunday together. We started out at the Buzzard Roost where the main programs were held. Across from the main area, Scout troops pitched their sleeping tents and built wood and rope projects for the visiting children to engage in.

A number of naturalists talked about the Buzzard that they had on hand, along with a hawk and an owl. I learned a number of interesting facts about the buzzards. Buzzards are not predators, they eat road-kill and sometimes when they eat too much, they barf. They eat vegetables, fruits and they really like pumpkins. Buzzards have a 6-foot wingspan, and large nostrils, which give them a keen sense of smell. At one point the man next to me shouted out, "Buzzards in the sky!" My daughter and I looked up, and with our free binoculars, that were handed out by the committee, we watched two buzzards circling in the sky.

The Buzzard Roost offers some buzzard merchandise, like buttons, pins, bumper stickers, t-shirts, hoodies, and caps. I eyed the hat with a buzzard head on the front and tail and feathers on the back. My daughter gave me a stern, "No," and we left the tent. There are also snacks available for anyone who is hungry or thirsty.

After we spent time at the Buzzard Roost, my daughter and I drove to the elementary school for the annual "all you can eat pancake and sausage breakfast." We waited outside in a long line, and eventually got into the building, purchased our ticket, and got our tray with our breakfast. We sat down in the crowded cafeteria with the other hungry buzzard goers. While we ate we listened to the locals tell stories about the buzzards.

If you like what you read, circle your calendar for the Sunday after March 15 for Buzzard Sunday. Just remember to bring along a camera and a sense of humor...and maybe buy that awesome hat with the buzzard head and feathers on it. I know that I will!

See you next year.

The

No comments:

Post a Comment