Thursday, May 27, 2010

Two Thumbs up for Red Velvet Cupcake


What is it like to overdose on cupcakes and I don't mean the Little Debbie or Hostess cupcake types. I spent a weekend with my two daughters sampling cupcakes. My oldest daughter will be getting married in August. Before she decided on a wedding cake, she thought that she might go with cupcakes instead. The cupcakes that we sampled were from a little specialty bakery shop called, A Cookie and a Cupcake, located in the Tremont area of Cleveland.

We stopped at the shop on a late Saturday afternoon. My daughter picked out 12 different varieties of cupcakes for us to sample. They included: chocolate cupcake with chocolate buttercream frosting, Red Velvet with cream cheese frosting, chocolate cupcake with mint buttercream frosting, white cupcake with custard and fresh strawberries and buttercream, chocolate with caramel mousse and espresso buttercream, German chocolate with coconut pecan goo and brown sugar buttercream, and a signature cupcake. My daughter bought a few others but we didn't sample those. Just writing about the cupcakes is making me drool!

We brought them home and later in the evening my daughter cut them into three sections for each of us to try. We sampled and critiqued each one. We ate a few cupcakes Saturday and finished the rest on Sunday. In the end, I just remember the heavenly flavor, and especially the ease of the buttercream frosting as it melted in my mouth. I pretty much hate the sickening sugary icings but the buttercream frosting was something to die for. The Red Velvet cupcake was wickedly moist as it slid down my throat with ease. The fillings in the cupcakes add another element to the cupcakes.

Each of us had our favorites but in the end the Red Velvet cupcake took first place. Knowing we were doing our job for a worthy cause made the adventure much more palatable and rewarding, and something that I had never totally indulged in before, without guilt.

If anyone has ever sampled any of the cupcakes from A Cookie and a Cake, please let me know your thoughts. Or, if you know of any different shops that specialize in cupcakes to die for, please feel free to share.

* Photo from www.acookieandacupcake.com

1 comment: