Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Coping

I have a number of posts to put on the Blog - at least a dozen. My writing has slowed down a bit. My drive to query and mail out stories is at a stand still. Except for the Blog writing, even my daily journal has suffered.

It has been almost two months since the death of my brother. I have been working on a short story about him, along with collecting stories, old and new, that I put into my file.

Right now - things do not have much meaning for me. I have tried to keep to some sort of routine, exercising at the gym, running necessary errands, helping my daughter in her catering kitchen, and baby-sitting whenever I am asked. Frankly, it is all a routine and I am just going through the everyday motions of life. If I were left alone, I think that I would stay in my pajamas, sit on my rocker in my bedroom, and watch television, non-stop.

I don't know if this is how others cope when faced with the death of a close family member? When my parents died years ago, I was younger. My nine children kept me busy and kept me from thinking. They pulled me along in different directions.

Since the house is quiet, I keep myself busy by getting out, even as I longingly look at my rocker and television to escape from the reality of life and loss. This is how I have been coping. Is it easier? Yes, in some ways I have accepted the death of my brother. I don't seem to cry as often. But the tears come unexpectedly when I receive a phone call from my niece, or an email mentioning him, or when I see his picture, or work on my short story about him. Tears come at the oddest times.

Sometimes, I find myself angry with other people and snap at them for some innocent comment, or trivial remark. I see all of this in a logical way but I still can't make sense of it. I guess that is how it will be for a long time. I am trying to cope as time goes on. I am trying to decide about doing something totally different to help me. But I'm still not quite there. Not just yet.

2 comments:

  1. Mary,
    Thanks for sharing a very personal, emotional time in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, Grief is a very personal and lonely journey.
    Motivation is almost non-existent. But what I found that helps is pouring yourself into someone else's life. God brings us through difficult situations to allow us to help others. Glad you are still keeping up with your blog. You may be writing just what someone else needs to hear.

    Praying for you,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete