Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What the Heck is my Cell Number?

How hard is it to remove the four digit pin number to unblock your Equifax credit account? Obviously, it is extremely hard. It will take a 45 minute phone call, being forced to listen to a music soundtrack from hell, that makes you want to blow your brains out, and talking to four different people who ask you how to spell your name, even Mary!

I went to the Verizon store to buy a cell phone with the help of my daughter. I found the phone I wanted, with a $50.00 rebate that I used on a phone cover, and one for my daughter, (hers was on sale for $5…so I felt generous), and the plug for the phone to use in my car. I liked the phone and the deal was pretty sweet. But when I had to talk to the Equifax people to find out my pin number…everything went down hill. I was on the phone for over 45 minutes. I talked to people with heavy accents, who I assumed lived in India or wherever they are hiding. I had to tell my name to four different people. I had to spell my name, give my middle initial, try to whisper my social security number (and I assume everyone in the Verizon Store now has it memorized), give my address and birthday, which I seem to grow older by every lousy song and every lousy minute that I spent on the lousy phone.

All the while I was standing up and leaning on the counter, where I wrote my blog, while watching eight customers come in and eight customers go out. I caught the eye of the cute clerk named Brandon, who was waiting on me and kept saying…I am sorry. Finally, I asked him how long they were opened. He responded not to worry, they were opened until 9. I hope I am not here that long but then there is a McDonald’s across the street. I bet I could run over, place an order and eat it and come back to the same miserable music playing.

Finally, when I had to spell Mary one more time, and was told I would have to be transferred again, I made the lady promise that I wouldn’t have to spell my name any more. No, she assured me, I will take care of it. She took care of it all right, when the final man that I would have to talk to asked for my name and we played the game a 4th time. He put me on hold longer then the two minutes her promised. It stretched to 15 or 20 minutes, and my daughter took my keys to run her errand. She returned a minute after I was given my sacred four digit pin number.

My daughter stared at me and said…”Why does this always happen to you?”

“Lucky,” I responded. Then I smiled and said watch this. Brandon started to type up my order when I said I changed my mind and he almost killed me.

“Joke,” I said. We all laughed.

I paid. I left. I am happy but I have one problem now…I have no idea what my cell number is. But the phone has a camera, and I feel pretty happy about that. I guess Brandon will be seeing me tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment