Thursday, November 3, 2011

An Engagement Moment

A few days ago, my youngest daughter, Becca, called me up to talk. She had taken four days off for a vacation and was in West Virginia when she called. Three sentence into our conversation, she paused and then said, “Mom, I got engaged.”

I was so happy for my baby. She had wanted to get married for a long time and she wants to have babies. I could tell she was as happy as I was at that moment.

Then she sent me a photo of her engagement ring. It was breathtakingly beautiful. There isn’t much to say. In the next year, I will have two daughters getting married, and I’ll have two new sons in law to add to my growing family. We have outgrown our table even when we extend it but we always manage. There is always room for one more.

In a way, I guess it is another milestone for me. Hey, this is my baby, who I taught to be as mouthy as me. She is something else. She kept the gray creeping in my hair, and my feet moving when I felt old. I was lucky that she and I spent one year alone together when all the other kids went off to school. She even taught me how to row, despite that I thought I might capsize. She was the one who wondered about who would do the turkey dance when the person who used to do it left. I watched her cry and in turn, she watched me cry. We have taught each other some small life lessons. It is hard to believe that my “baby” will be getting married and someday have children. But time goes on, and in amazing fashion, history has a habit of repeating itself.

Good luck, Becca and Jimbo! May every day be as special as that very magical moment when you two became engaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment