Sunday, August 24, 2014

How Safe Are We?



So, after the 7th pass by of the Nuclear Power Plant in Shippingport, Pa., stopping each time and snapping a few pictures of the Reactors, my friend and I looked around – no cameras, no police or security guard, no one stopping us – nothing.

We may have drove away laughing and joking about having our license taken down and finding someone with Government credentials standing at our door, soon. We vowed to bake a cake with a file in it, if one of us goes to jail. But deep down, it really wasn’t funny. It was a bit unsettling. Where was the security? Since I didn’t see any, I, for one, didn’t feel so safe or secure.

So far, nothing has happened but it didn’t stop me from wondering and finally the nagging question popped up in my head…if I could take close up pictures of the reactors, with my ‘dinky’ camera – what about a terrorist or a nut? Then I thought – how safe do I feel? Not safe at all was my answer.


Right now, with everything going on in the world, I just didn’t feel safe anymore. For the first time in my life, I realized that no one, that includes my country, is looking out to keep us safe. That is a very unsettling feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment