Thursday, October 28, 2010

Pushing 65

My friend, Elaine, and I were sitting at my brother-in-law's kitchen table and going over Social Security and Medicare information. Elaine had her Medicare information in hand and I had my booklet and an envelope with personal papers. My head was spinning and getting bigger with all the Medicare and Social Security information.

Because Elaine was still working, I listened to the advice Dave gave her about holding off with taking her social security until she was 66 and if she did, she would receive 100% of the benefits. When he talked about Medicare, I wondered with all the health care changes, how long would a provider or company be able to afford to take care of its employees with the new Obama Health Cave plan? This was the first time that I was glad that I would be depending on my own coverage. Finally, after drifting off into my own world, I heard Dave say, "Now it's your turn." He began telling me that on Monday we could go to the Social Security office in Middleburgh Heights and I could sign up for my ex's Social Security benefits as a divorced spouse, and also sign up for Medicare. "Do you have what you need?"

I went through my envelope and produced my birth certificate, marriage license, and my divorce decree. "Yep, I have it all, plus my driver's license. I guess that is everything."

The next day we got up early and arrived at the office. Inside, we received a walk-in number and we were the second ones to be called into the office. The lady who would take care of us was extremely nice and had a dry sense of humor. That was what I liked...the humor. It helped. I have no idea why I was so nervous, but I guess I was worried that I wouldn't have everything that I needed and that I might not be able to answer all the questions. Thankfully, my brother-in-law was sitting next to me and gave me the support that I needed.

I signed up for Medicare Part A and B. Once the papers would be processed, I would receive my Medicare card within 30 days. That was easy enough. But at Dave's house, he went through the Medicare booklet and steps. I knew that I would need a supplemental insurance and I could get that only after I received my card. Then I could enroll in the Highmark Advantage Plan that I chose. This would cover my prescription drugs. We even called the Highmark number in Pittsburgh and got all the information that I needed on a call that lasted about 20-25 minutes, while even being put on hold.

After being signed up for Medicare, the lady started to work on my Social Security benefits. It didn't help that I had the same m=number and three different names...Mary L. Aiello, Mary Aiello Gauntner, and Mary L. Gauntner. We straightened that up and I would receive a card with the right name and my same Social Security number. As we went along with the paper work, the lady pointed out that I had to be truthful and if I lied, I would be prosecuted. Being raised a good Catholic and having all of that Catholic guilt, lying isn't something that I would do anyway. My brother-in-law kept telling me to relax. I did have all the right papers.

Since I didn't work enough quarters, I would not be getting any Social Security benefits of my own. Sadly, being a house wife for almost 33 years, raising nine kids, and working my butt off, doesn't entitle me to anything but a divorce, and being able to take Social Security benefits from my ex. I guess that will have to do.

All in all, I sailed through every thing. In a little over an hour, we were out of the building. I was relieved, and grateful to Dave for his help. I will get some money from my ex's benefits. I will have my own Medicare card in about a month. I felt happy remembering when we started off in the office that the lady looked at me and asked how old I was? She said that I didn't look old enough for Medicare. She was my kind of person. Even if I don't look my age, in 30 days, I'll have a Medicare card, and hopefully I will have my first Social Security check which will eventually pay for my Medicare supplemental insurance. All I can say is where did the years go?

Good luck to anyone who has to go through Medicare. I just wish you could have someone to help you like my brother-in-law, Dave.

Thanks, Dave!

2 comments:

  1. Thank, Mary for the helpful information. I'll be doing the same darn thing in a few months. When I was in my 20s I remember thinking that 30 was old. Now I think maybe 90 is old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dad would always tell me how he would look in the mirror and one day he saw a person looking back and thought who is that old man? He realized he was looking at himself. I was in my 20s at the time and thought...whatever. Now I know what he meant!

    ReplyDelete