Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Writing Group

My Wednesday mornings usually begin with me picking up my writing friend and going and eating breakfast at Eat-N-Park. We talk about the happenings of what has occurred since our last meeting. Afterwards, we usually go to the library and focus on what each of us is working on.

This Wednesday was a little different. We expanded our group to a third writer. I'm not sure if this will be a permanent member but it just might be the beginning of something good. Each of us brought something that we are presently working on, or a creative idea. This is what a writer or artist does.

Writing for me is a daily occurrence. It is like breathing. I have to write on some kind of daily basis, either on the story that I am working on at the moment, or writing in my journal. Usually, I just go about my writing business alone. I have a lot of ideas. Those ideas might just come from my daily living, an incident that has occurred, or listening to something on the radio, or just being.

A writer writes, it is that simple. Writing is also a very solitary practice. I believe that I am a good writer, and that is why I write. Writing is my therapy but it can be lonely. So being with other creative people is a good way to keep ones creative juices flowing. Exchanging ideas is exciting and helps to trigger something inside of me. For me, writing isn't just sitting down in front of my computer but it is talking to other writers. It excites me to hear what the other person is working on, or exchanging ideas and advice. Talking about writing or ideas is what a writer needs to keep their writing going forward. Having someone help you when you get stumped or when you hit a writer's block is a blessing. Having someone read your writing and give you that helpful feedback is wonderful, even if you don't follow it exactly.

I am lucky because I email daily to my blogging partner. She is another source of inspiration to me. I know that I can bounce an idea or two off her. I value her advice, even though it is only by email. I also know that if I need help, I can count on her.

Writing is a daily job for me. But meeting and sharing breakfast and ideas with the other writers is what refuels my writing. I look forward to those Wednesdays, and it becomes so much more to me. Routine is good. Being alone is good. Writing is good. But sharing ideas and getting that excitement back into my writing is even better.

I look forward to continuing to sit in front of my computer and crafting my stories. Now I look forward to Wednesday to refuel my ideas, my writing, and sharing breakfast with my writing group.

2 comments:

  1. Write on, Mary! Writing for me is how I process the world around me. I count on you as well.

    ReplyDelete