Friday, January 28, 2011

65...OMG!

Sixty-five...ugh. That sounds strange to my ears. But that is what I am today.

Where did all that time go? I remember when I was young and thinking anyone older then 30 was ancient. I thought all my teachers were old and decrepit. It didn't help that they were religious nuns; their habits and veils covered everything, except for their faces and hands. Besides that I thought they looked old, they scared me.

Then one day my father caught me looking in the mirror and imparted a bit of fatherly advice. "You know, Maggie, one day you look in the mirror and you're young. Then one day, you look in the mirror and wonder, who is that old person looking back? Then you realize, that old person is you." After those pleasant words, he turned and walked away.

I looked at my father and thought that he had lost his mind. The words he imparted left me confused and I didn't bother to think about them. After all, I was young and a teenager and what did I know, besides everything. I didn't understand what he said because I was never going to get old.

Now, I am 65. I have all the signs of that age - dark pools and enormous bags under my eyes, drooping boobs, a map etched on my face and abdomen, and gray hair that I color. Nine children and life added all that to my body.

My knees ache - all the time. I still exercise, just so I can keep moving. I am not as ferocious at attacking the weight machines. I have slowed down and have become a gentler person to my aging body.

Even my brain has its senior moments. I used to be a whiz at Trivial Pursuit and Jeopardy. I could beat the pants off my kids, especially when I used the 60s board game. Not anymore! As for Jeopardy, I am still squinting and biting my lips and furrowing my brow to get to my brain's file system. My son already has answered the question. But I am so intent on finding that answer that I don't hear him. During the commercial, the answer finally appears in my foggy brain, my mouth forms the words, and then I realize the MC is asking another question. I know my son has no clue as to what is going on with me. I don't bother to hand out any advice because he won't get it until he starts to age and get older.

Two months before I was 65, I was able to figure out how to file for my ex's Social Security and was able to register for Medicare with the help of my favorite brother-in-law. So I am there. I just hope 65 turns out to be a better year then a few of my past ones. I hope this year and the following years are going to be gentler to me as I will be with my own body.

3 comments:

  1. Mary, first of all Happy Birthday! It's only a number. And second of all, I admire how you write so candidly about your age... so matter of fact! If it were me, I'd be complaining, dragging my heels into the new year and hating every minute of it. You, my friend, are embracing your age with hope, acceptence and grace!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe I am this old. I know it isn't the number but ha...who are we kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, I'm close on your heels turning 65 in September. I always say aging isn't for the weak of heart. But my mom, who turns 90 this year and still lives in her own home, reminds me every day that there are ways to live gracefully in old age. Keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete