Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I Ran - Sort of

The Doc Aiello Run for Someone has come and gone. I along with six members of my family either ran or walked it. Our family combined with my niece and her husband, her aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, faculty members of Loyola Academy High School, students and graduates. At least 500 people had registered for the Run, which was named in honor of my brother, Jack.

Mass was conducted in the field before the Run. My niece was given the honor to start the race. It all occurred under a blistering Chicago sun, with temperatures in the 90s.

Since I exercise at a gym, 4-5 times a week, work on the weight machines, and ride a bike for 16 miles at a time, I figured a three mile walk would be nothing. Sure, I didn’t have a cool pair of running shorts like my son suggested. But I did have the shirt that was handed out to each participant. We all looked the same. My son made fun of my pants that he called floods and I called Capris. He was right.

I made it around to maybe 1-3/4 miles, pouring water on my head and shirt, before my knee blew out on me. I forgot my knee brace. I was able to kick my granddaughter out of the wheel chair that she was in and her father was pushing. She had a walking cast on her leg and could walk. I gave my son some extra work as he pushed me the rest of the way. I kept saying that I would get out but you know something, I carried his eight pounds plus for nine months and longer, until he could walk.
We crossed the finish line, where my niece’s husband came in behind the old lady in the wheel chair! My time was about 55 minutes. My son - no time registered because I covered the number that was pinned to his shirt. But my arms were outstretched like I had come in #1 to wear a laurel wreath on my head.

After the race, the high school provided a cook out, Gatorade, and unlimited use of a Good Humor Ice Cream Truck. Let's just say my family and everyone else ate a lot of ice cream treats.

Around one, we hugged and said our goodbyes, and made plans to return next year for the Doc Aiello Run for Someone. We got in our cars and drove the 451 miles back to Pittsburgh. My goal is to try to talk more members of my family into participating in next year's Run.

1 comment:

  1. You came, you sort of ran, and you had a great time honoring your brother. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete