Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Door Closed

There is an old expression that goes something like – “God never closes a door, unless He opens another.” I hope that it is true.

With that saying, I have been searching for a writing group for the past six years. I had been in a small writing group when I had attended Chatham College,while I was working toward my Master’s Degree in Nonfiction Writing. Including myself, there were three other women in the group. We would meet, eat dinner, and pass our writing work around to be read and critiqued. Then we would meet a few weeks later and do the same. After graduation, we went our separate ways. I missed these women. I especially missed our writing group and have been searching in vain for another group.

About two years ago, I ran into a woman who had been in one of my Chatham classes. She talked about her writing group and how there was an opening, took my name and phone number, and said she would be in touch. A year or two passed, I never heard from her.

A few weeks ago, I ran into the woman at the bookstore. We talked, and again she mentioned the writing group. For the second time, she took my name and said two women would be dropping out and would I like to join. Out our courtesy, she would talk to the other women, and get back to me. A week or two went by, I received an email – I was in. My quest and hunger for a writing group was over. We would meet in August on a weekly basis.

Finally, after the fourth of July, I received another email: “Sorry but two of the original members are rejoining. Hope you can find a writing group. If anyone leaves the group, you are the first on the list to be called. Have a nice summer.”

I looked at the email and shook my head in frustration. For years I have been looking for a writing group to join. I was confused and wondered if other groups were so rigid or profiled their members? I decided that even if I was number one on their potential list, I didn’t want to join their group. After two disappointments, I didn’t want to be set up for a third one. I doubt this “elitists” group is what I am looking for. I’m disappointed to say the least and realize if I had a writing group, I wouldn’t turn away any eager and productive writer. The worst part is that I am not an amateur writer. In the past, I have been published a number of times in newspapers and magazines. I have also been paid for my work.

Another door was shut but I will find a writing group somewhere, who will welcome all serious writers to their group. Another lesson learned.

Yes – I’m still searching for another group. So, if anyone reading this blog and lives in the North Hills area is interested in forming a writing group – leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment