Friday, August 12, 2011

EZ Pass

I so love my EZ Pass! I love the power of holding up the pass in my hand pressed against my windshield, while driving without stopping. I love seeing the other cars lined up, with the toll card and money waiting in my rear view mirror.

For years I drove back and forth from Pennsylvania to Ohio on the Turnpike. Diligently, I would get my toll ticket, look at the charge and get my money out. All I had to do was drive, then stop at my exit and hand over my ticket and the correct amount.

It never seemed to matter what toll booth I would choose. The inevitable would happen with the person in the car in front, handing the toll taker the card and then fumbling through their purse or wallet or coin tray for the amount. I waited grumbling, tapping my steering wheel, saying out our, “Come on – go!” It almost seems to come as a surprise to the drivers ahead that they actually need toll money to get off the turnpike. I always think – why couldn’t they at least have the money set out regardless if it am the correct amount? It’s not as if this should be a surprise where they got on the turnpike, took a toll card and someone threw up a booth at the end, and asked for money.

A few months ago I went to the Giant Eagle store and purchased the EZ Pass Pack. I went home, got online and activated it by using the pin number on the package. I set up my account and how the money would be drawn as I needed it. A person can have the fees taken automatically from one’s checking account or personal credit card.

I couldn’t wait to use my EZ Pass. Of course – every step of the way, I called my son, Michael, with my information:
Call #1 – “Hi, I bought my EZ Pass.”
Call #2 – “Hi, I activated my EZ Pass online.”
Call #3 – “Hi going to use my EZ Pass.”
Call #4 – “Hi, I did it. I did it. I used my EZ Pass.”

Call me what you want. Call me weird. Call me a nerd. It sounds crazy but I LOVE MY EZ PASS! I don’t have to wait behind one of those fumbling drivers who seem to take forever looking for their toll money. Yeah, I am the one easing up on the gas, showing my EZ Pass with a big grin on my face, and watching the line up of cars in my rear view mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment