Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Scholastic Art Show

I’m sitting at a table at La Roche College in the student lounge. To be exact, I’m in the Zappala Center surrounded by Art! Art is everywhere, in the form of paintings, sketches, charcoal, water colors, photos, jewelry, sculptured pieces and more. Art is displayed on tables, the floor, walls, glass cases, and display boards. The Pittsburgh area middle schools and high schools have entered their art and a number have been selected for this year’s Scholastic Art show. Some of the art projects have been awarded Gold Keys or Silver Keys. Needless to say, to have your art on display is an obvious honor. But being able to view the talent of these students is the real honor.

 

This is the second year that my granddaughter, Hanna, has had one of her drawings selected for the show. Both years, she has been awarded a Silver Key. My granddaughter has a lot of talent. Besides being a fun teenager, she is a good student, a hard worker, and one of the nicest individuals that I know.

 

Years ago, when Hannah was born, and her mother started back to work, I babysat Hannah. I watched her for 12 years. In that time, I’d like to think that we formed a special bond. Hannah was an energetic baby and then a delightful toddler, who loved watching the video The Lion King, over and over. I am truly blessed to have watched her develop into a self-assured teenager. Hannah is fun and filled with a lot of love. She has a lot of friends, both male and female ones, which says a lot about her.

 

One thing that I cherish the most is how Hannah always loved to draw. I enjoyed buying her sketch paper, drawing pencils, and art supplies. I loved looking through her sketchbook. I enjoy Hannah’s art the same way that I used to enjoy her father’s art work. Hannah’s father happens to be my son. I love their talent and their drawings always brought me great joy.

 

As I sit in the lounge, I am aware of the college students’ chatter and the pool sticks breaking the balls. None of this bothers me because I am too focused on my granddaughter’s charcoal sketch that is on display. For the moment I feel a deep connection to Hannah.

No comments:

Post a Comment