Monday, February 17, 2014

Within The Fairy Castle

A few years ago, I visited Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry with my son, Michael and my granddaughter, Mika. The one exhibit that really drew our attention and time was the Fairy Castle.

The castle was built by the silent movie star, Colleen Moore. Moore owned a number of dollhouses that her father had built. The one that she loaned and gave to the Chicago museum is a 9 foot dollhouse, constructed by her father in 1928. It was furnished by Moore with many beautiful and amazing artifacts. The Fairy Castle has been a featured exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry since 1941, and now a permanent fixture and is owned by the museum.

When we visited the Fairy Castle, I would have to say all three of us became enchanted with the castle, the furnishings, the detail and the beauty. I’m sure we were at the exhibit for at least an hour. We had to drag ourselves away from it to see the rest of the museum. My granddaughter was into fairies at the time and was totally in love with the castle.

Before we left, we stopped off at the gift shop and I let my granddaughter choose a souvenir of our visit. When we came across the Fairy Castle book, Mika chose it. I am embarrassed to say, it was a bit pricey and her father and I made her pick out something else. From the moment we left the museum, and years later, I often regretted not buying that Fairy Castle book.



Last week, I looked online at the Museum of Science and Industry, saw the book and purchased Within the Fairy Castle. Now years later, I am sitting in the library slowly going through the pages of this beautiful book. The book is amazing to say the least. But not as amazing as visiting the museum and seeing the Fairy Castle exhibit in person and with my granddaughter.

After I leave the library, I am going home and when school is over, I am calling Mika about the book. Right now – I hope she still remembers our trip to Chicago and actually seeing the Fairy Castle. I plan to write a little note and give this book to Mika. At 12, I think she will appreciate the book more than if I had bought it three years ago.


Times and incidents come and go. But memories last, and that is what’s important.within the within th

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sisters would probably like this book. From Matt.

    ReplyDelete