Sunday, July 6, 2014

Red Robin, Hamburgers, and Grandchildren



There was a time that I had five kids under five. There was a time that I had six teenagers Time moved on but yesterday I found myself at a table at Red Robin’s eating with my grandchildren. I remember in the old days, with my family of nine kids we would have needed another table or booth. Who am I kidding; I never took them out to eat unless we were on vacation. That was a site to behold and one that I don’t want to revisit. Yet, here I was with five of my grandchildren. Let’s just say the girls were quieter and the boys were typical boys…noisy, pains, and driving the more sophisticated girls a bit batty. I just tuned it out, unless they were swinging from the chandeliers…and they weren’t.

I had talked my daughter in law to come along. Since she had a root canal and her pain was still in the numb zone…she came along. I am sure afterwards she wished she hadn’t when her numbness wore off and she had nothing to take for the pain.

We ordered drinks, like speckled lemonade, Blue Moon, water, plus hamburgers of course; different kinds of hamburgers to soothe our tastes and hunger accompanied by bottomless steak fries or sweet potato fries. I have to say…they ate everything, drank everything and we passed on desserts. The table looked like seven hungry people just consumed a much needed late lunch.

Afterwards, we left, and hit Barnes and Noble in Cranberry, where each of us selected a book or two. I love it when I take my grandchildren to the bookstore and they come away with a handful of books. At least I know that they love to read and sometimes, they share their books with me to read.


The time spent with my grandchildren was fun and I hope it is something that they remember and maybe come to treasure in time.  I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment