Friday, November 12, 2010

Chicago Trip

I flew to Chicago with my daughter, Erin. It would be a short trip and we had planned on staying at my brother's house. My niece picked us up from the airport and took us to the house. It has been three months since my brother, Jack, died.

My niece, her husband and a few friends have gone in and cleaned out the papers, closets, cupboards, and dresser drawers. My niece has taken a number of boxes stuffed with her father's papers, cards and photos. I could tell she has been working hard.

The two day visit was fun for my daughter and I. We ate at Jimmy Buffet's restaurant, "Cheeseburger in Paradise." I had to have a cheeseburger and I was in total paradise. After lunch, we went to a jewelry and fashion expo in the Rosemont Convention Center. There had to be 500 vendors, and tables to view. My niece made us go and look at each table, and made sure that we saw every single item. We walked around the center for four hours! It was pretty neat but my feet, ankles, and legs ached. All three of us did find a few good bargains and purchased them.

That night my niece left us at my brother's house. The cable and Internet had been discontinued. My daughter played around and tried to hook up the VCR, so we could watch a video. I walked around my brother's house feeling lost and sad and not sure quite how to handle my feelings. Sensing my mood, my daughter suggested that we check into a hotel. We did. We found a Hilton close by the house and booked a room for two nights. The beds, mattresses, pillows, and the room was A+. We splurged on the fabulous room service both days. The room was comfortable and it came without memories.

We got up and met my high school classmate and blogging partner Gail, at my brother's house. Gail, my daughter, and I managed to find a place to eat breakfast and catch up on the last time we saw each other...that would have been June, 1964. I still remember Gail from high school and I have to say she looks great! We talked about writing and losses, while my daughter talked about being a chef and a marathon runner. We actually talked about the Diva Marathon and seeing if we could meet up with our daughters and do that. If we do, I will be walking with a crown...running is not my game. I was happy to see Gail and we have talked about meeting up again, when I come back to Chicago.

Later, Erin and I drove down to the Rosemont Convention Center parking lot. We paid for parking and took the Blue Line L, and then transferred to the #66 bus to go down to the Navy Pier. We stayed there for a few hours, walking outside and indoors. We bought tickets for the architecture tour of the downtown buildings on one of the scenic boat cruises. I was excited about this because it was something that I had always wanted to do. This tour was worth every penny and I wasn't disappointed. Neither was my daughter. When we finished, we retraced our steps and returned to the car and drove to my niece's house next to Oak Park. We ate outdoors at a nice little Italian restaurant and then walked next door for a gelato for dessert. Hhmm...everything was delicious.

That night I tossed and turned listening to the loud winds and torrential downpours. When we turned on the television, we found that Chicago was under a tornado watch, and the high winds grounded all the morning flights at O'Hare Airport. I hate to fly but room service for breakfast temporarily soothed my mood.

We did go back to my brother's house and packed a few of his things that I wanted and was able to take back home. I stood in Jack's bedroom for a few minutes taking it all in. I finally said goodbye to Jack and his house for the last time, clutching a few of his persona items.

2 comments:

  1. It was great finally seeing each other after all those years and our countless emails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best parts of my trip back to Chicago!

    ReplyDelete