Friday, November 19, 2010

The "Worst" Generation

Once defined as the bulge in the python, we’re now being called “The Worst Generation." USA Today is running a series of articles about our generation in which we’re blamed for the current economic crisis, the rise in unwanted pregnancies, and the decline of the American family. During our youth, according to such knowledgeable historians like Tom Brokaw, all we did was take drugs and have sex. If only! All this negative attention has been prompted by the fact that the first wave of us turns 65 in 2011. And the country is in economic trouble and has no idea how it’s going to honor social security, Medicare, and other commitments it made to us, as we were busy doing drugs and having sex. I guess calling us a generation of self-indulgent, oversexed, selfish pigs let’s the government off the hook.

Well, I remember it differently and since I lived it, not just saw pictures and read news clips, my opinion carries the weight of having lived it. As a daughter of depression era parents who suffered through the Great Depression I grew up with the constant reminder that at any moment it could all be taken away. So I took that lesson to heart and became a life-long saver. As a young bride I worked hard to put my husband through dental school, rolling penny rolls for gas money and living in a roach infested apartment. Just as my husband neared graduation, he was sent a draft notice, mainly because the draft board in their infinite wisdom chose young men from poorer neighbors. If you listen to Credence Clearwater Revival’s “Fortunate Son,” you’ll understand. Even though we had a child, and even though my husband was still in school, his number had come up and he was headed for Vietnam. I fought hard to keep him in the states, calling Illinois senator Percy to help keep our family together. He didn’t go to Nam, but he still served his two years, being spit upon by war protestors and called a baby killer when he wore his uniform in airports. Though I didn’t like that treatment, I was on their side and so was my husband. We knew this wasn’t a just war. And his choice was serve the two years or go to Canada. So he served and we felt lucky he never went to Nam.

Unlike the Greatest Generation’s war, which had a noble cause, Vietnam was a murky political war. The Vietnamese never attacked our country. Ask yourselves today if the draft was still in effect, how you would feel being ripped from your life for a war started for all the wrong reasons. Because of the brave students who protested on campus throughout this country, there is no longer a draft. I know first hand what the ravages of war look like. My father served for three years in the Pacific theater during WWII and came back broken. He told me that he had to punch his commanding officer to get treatment for shell shock, now known as post- traumatic stress syndrome. He had to fight to get his veterans benefits.

Then there was the treatment of women in the workplace that our generation worked to change. It was not uncommon to be asked to show your birth control prescription if you were married and applying for a job. It was not uncommon to have calendars of naked women displayed in the workplace. It was not uncommon to be kept in the lowest rungs of management if you were lucky enough to be a manger. I had that experience first hand working at Southwestern Bell Telephone. I watched a man hired at the same time as me and in the same position being groomed for promotion, while I toiled away for lesser money, knowing that as a woman I would never be prompted no matter what I did.

Unless you were living it, you have no idea of the prejudice against minorities, and I’m including women in that group. There was no equality and there was nothing you could do about it. My mother told me that she once saw an elderly black woman shoved off a sidewalk by a white man, because she was black. But our generation worked to change that. In case the media has forgotten, young people went to the southern states to work for voting rights for blacks, and some lost their lives doing do. We understood that the enemy wasn’t in Vietnam; it was here in our own country. Listen to Neal Young’s song, “Four Dead in Ohio.” The National Guard fired on students protesting at Kent State University, killing four of them. Consider that Martin Luther King Jr., Robert Kennedy, and John Kennedy were murdered in this country. I remember sitting in our dingy apartment in St. Louis and watching with horror Robert Kennedy dying on the hotel’s kitchen floor, his arm outstretched as if pleading or maybe in confusion. What was there left to believe in when our leaders were murdered for standing up for the underdog? A numbness descended on us that no moon landing could erase. Worst Generation? More like most disillusioned.

Yet, we fought for the environment, honored the arts (To declare yourself a business major in my generation was tantamount to declaring yourself a loser), and questioned the government. Are we a perfect generation, no. But neither was the Greatest Generation, which did fight valiantly, did save their money, and did stress family values. But in order to do that, they had to exert a repression that their children had to question unless they were brain dead. Every generation has to live in the time they were born in. My 89- year-old mother recently said that.

I’m sick of the media and politicians looking for scapegoats because, in truth, the media often tends to be lazy, “Oh, the boomers are turning 65, let’s sling some mud rather than examine something in depth”; and the politicians are masters of passing the buck. “We haven’t a clue how we got in this economic mess. Wait, let’s blame those boomers who are about to get what the government promised them. Then when we cut their benefits, we’re justified.”

I refuse to accept being labeled the worst generation, because I refuse lazy thinking and broad generalities.

What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this post. While I was still in High School I joined CORE (Congress for Racial Equality). I opened my eyes. When I joined he workforce equal pay was NOT in place and my male coworkers made more. It was personal for me in many ways. This year 2 women ran for Governor of Oklahoma! The first time in history. And the Boomers paved the road that made that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muriel, thanks for sharing your personal experience of inequality for women in the workplace. As the first generation of women who worked in significant numbers, we took a lot of subtle and not so subtle abuse. But we stuck it out and kept working, paving the way for later generations of women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog piece. I agree that the media is lazy and slanted and has lost respect because it is no longer ethical. I was a journalism major and am embarrassed by the news media.

    I also think the government sucks regardless of having a (D) or (R) after their names. They are selfish arrogant people who have made being in Washington a career when the Founding Fathers wanted the common man to take their turn.

    We are not the Worst Generation. I know most of the people that I grew up with worked hard because they were taught to work hard and help others and I thought they pretty much did that. It seems that the ones that made the news were the druggies and the advocates of free love. They were louder and more colorful and that made the news.

    Thanks for speaking up and speaking out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm part of the Baby Boomers & I'm tired of hearing about The Greatest Generation as well. Sure they lived through the Depression--but they were CHILDREN. Kids are kids & they adapt. It was our GRANDPARENTS who worked, worried themselves sick & tried to keep the whole thing together during the Depression. My grandfather made $7 every TWO weeks & that was considered a good job. That generation went to war in another very unpopular war...World War I...and were also "forgotten vets" being fired upon by MacArthur in their Tents in D.C. when all these veterans wanted was the money promised for them for having served. My husband served in Vietnam & it was indeed a "murky war" where there were the hated "rules of engagement" meaning they weren't allowed to fire back when fired upon, as the political whores in Washington wanted a "humane war." Don't mention LBJ--don't even get me started. Sorry, it's a sore point--we'll never live to get an iota of what we've paid into Social Security & we're not allowed to opt out of it. Quite frankly, I'd like to get Tom Brokaw in a room and wring his silly neck for coining a phrase that just isn't true & should never have stuck. What really galls me is the so-called "Greatest Generation" actually believes their generation is somehow the "greatest" that ever lived. Talk about ego.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for commenting, Sandra. I didn't know about the WWI vets being fired upon. A few years ago, I spoke with a medic who'd just returned from Iraq and couldn't get treatment for post-traumatic stress syndrome. It makes me furious when I think about how vets are treated.

    ReplyDelete