Friday, May 20, 2011

Air in a Can

Recently I had to have my computer worked on after a virus embedded itself and wrecked my programs. I was not happy about this to say the least since all my writing is stored on my computer. That would include three manuscripts that were not backed up on my flash drive. But they were saved and restored. I was without my computer for almost six agonizing days. Maybe I’m addicted? Maybe, and maybe not? But there are worse addictions then this one.

While the computer was being restored, I was asked for a flat edged screw driver. I was amazed that I found it where it was supposed to be – in my tool box. Nothing is ever in its right place in my house…so when I found the tool where it was supposed to be, I was ecstatic. I handed the screw driver to the computer guy, who then asked me, “Do you have any compressed air?”

I looked at him with a dumb expression and responded, “Huh? What’s that?”

“You know, air in a can?”

Air in a can – I only thought that it came from my kids…you know, air on demand, air anywhere, air for free, air anytime and without being asked, and hoping you have an oxygen mask to recover – that air. I always thought that my kids could have been the United States Government’s secret weapon of mass destruction.

Finally, I woke from my reverie about air, and said, “Where do you get that from?”

“Target, WalMart, Best Buy.”

I quickly ran to Target repeating “air in a can,” so that I wouldn’t forget it. I walked to the automotive area and looked around, and then made a bee line to the computer area. I asked one of the Target employees, where I could find compressed air. He stepped back and pointed to a the can, which was on a shelf, across from where he was working.

There was one single can of air for $4.99, and two cans for $8.99. The can said Endust Duster for Electronics. This would quickly remove dust and lint from any electronic surface. I picked up the can and said, “How about that – there really is something called air in a can!”

I took the can to the check out and made a few more jokes to the check out lady. She laughed and then asked me for my photo ID.

“You’re kidding,” I said.

“No, I am required by law,” she responded.

“Is it because you can huff it?”

“That and you can make bombs with it,” she commented.

Wow – I was right, I had my very own secret weapon for air, my nine kids.
I left the store highly amused. I gave the can to the computer guy, told him not to make any bombs because they could and would track me down.

Now it was his turn to say, “Huh.”

That was my “gotcha moment.”

Air in a Can…who knew?

1 comment: