Sunday, May 1, 2011

Oglebay Resort

I spent two days at Ogelbay Resort writing. Before I knew it my trip was over. But during that time, I sat in a comfortable chair looking outside. The window blinds were opened and there was a small porch off of the room, with a beautiful white apple blossom tree on the left, which filled up my vision. Beyond this view were the rolling hills of West Virginia, and trees were everywhere, sporting their spring finery. I was amazed at all the new growth and all the different shades of green. The red and yellow tulips were in bloom and they seemed to be everywhere.

It’s because of the beauty of the resort and the friendly people that draws me back to Ogelbay. Besides that, something here seems to fuel my writing and helps me to get back into my writing mojo. When I’m not in my comfortable chair, in my room at the Wilson’s Lodge, I have the option of the exercise room, indoor pool or spa. If I want to go outdoors, I can take a walk around the grounds, or the trails, play tennis, ski, or snowboard.

Usually I wander to the Carriage House Glass Shop and Museum. There are beautiful glass works from the Fostoria Glass Company. Or I can take in the sites of the Good Zoo and Benedum Planetarium, Bissonnette Gardens, and the Arnold Palmer Golf Course. In the summers I can go to Schenk Lake and rent a paddleboat, and in the evening throw a blanket down on the ground and watch the fountain and the light show, accompanied by the music.

The Ihlenfeld Dining Room at the Resort is cozy and comfortable and the wall of windows commands a view of the surrounding countryside. The service is friendly the food is exceptional from the appetizers, to the beautifully arranged wood fired oak grilled double cut pork chops, or the tender steak New York oak grilled cooked to specification with sauté wild mushroom and bordelaise sauce, to the scrumptious desserts of a pear torte or chocolate crème brulee. During the summer I can enjoy the cascading waters and Schenk Lake’s 150’ fountain. In November and December I will be able to see the Famous Festival of Lights display on the massive hillside. Next to the restaurant is the Glass Works Grill. It offers informal and lighter dining, along with a number of television screens mounted on the walls.

Ogelbay is about an hour drive from my house. I always enjoy my trip and my stay. It makes me feel comfortable and relieves my stress. Staying at the Resort seems to give me some ideas for writing and seems to open my writing vein. Other then home, I can’t think of any other place that I would rather be.

If you are interested in Oglebay Resort...check out their website: www.oglebayresort.com.

If you have ever been to Oglebay Resort...care to share a favorite memory of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment