Friday, April 29, 2011

Remembering My First Kiss

When I was in first grade, I loved Brian Murphy. Just looking at him made my heart do a flip-flop. That was it, all I had to do was just look at him. That was enough.

But my first real boyfriend was Stephen David. He had soft brown eyes and straight brown hair. He was cute. We liked each other. In 7th and 8th grade we always had boy and girl birthday parties. We would play slow dances on the record player. It was Stephen David that I wanted to slow dance with. When we danced; it wasn’t too close but it wasn’t too far away either.

When I was in 8th grade, it was Stephen David who gave me my first kiss. This happened at my best friend, Sandy’s house. It happened in a dark hallway, probably on a dare. Nonetheless, it was my first kiss. When our lips touched, I felt like an electrical current started to run from my toes to the top of my head. It was a surprise but a total pleasant feeling. I would remember this first kiss and Stephen David for the rest of my life.

Many years later, I grew up, married and moved away. After I had my first baby, I came home to visit my parents and was told that Stephen David had been killed in a car crash, the night before his sister’s wedding. He was 25 years old. He wasn’t married.

Now, here I am, I have lived a full life, married, had 9 children and almost have 15 grandchildren. But I still remember that 13-year-old boy and how one night in a dark hallway, he gave me my first kiss. I still remember that sensation of electricity. I still remember how sweet my first kiss tasted. And after almost 40 years, I still remember Stephen David.

Do you remember your first kiss?

2 comments:

  1. My first kiss was in 7th grade also...Ricky Romea.. nice name, huh? It was on my best friend Karn's front porch swing. It was very awkward and I kept my eyes open, wide open as in 'surprise'. I, too, will never forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think we ever forget our first kisses. I can still remember the hallway that was dark. It was off the kitchen. Yep...and it was so sweet. I think I opened my eyes and his were closed...so I closed mine.

    ReplyDelete