Friday, September 2, 2011

O'Reilly's Pub


I am not much of a drinker – ask my friend or relatives. But while I was visiting my friend in Cleveland, I wanted to do something different. I kept saying – “Let’s do something different.”

“What do you want to do?”

“Let’s get a drink – but at a bar.”

“You, you want a drink?” My friend was surprised.

“Yes, I want a Mojito and I want to go to a bar,” I added.

“Okay,” my friend said, staring at me like I was already a little tipsy.

She drove into the parking lot of a small strip mall in Cleveland Heights and parked in front of O’Reilly’s Pub. It was close to five o’clock and the place wasn’t opened yet. So we popped into a small shop and walked around until it hit five o’clock. We walked into the pub and we were the first patrons of the day. The bar was dark but clean and had some Irish photos and some Cleveland memorabilia on the walls. The bathroom was spotless and there was a glass vase filled with real tiny carnations, which was a nice touch. The bartender was friendly and greeted us and asked us what we wanted. My friend ordered a glass of Chardonnay and I ordered a Mojito.

“Can’t do that one. What do you want?”

“Why? I want a Mojito.”

“Sorry, but I don’t have any mint.”

I was disappointed and ordered a Corona Light.

“With a lime?” he asked.

“Definitely.”

After he put the Corona in front of me he asked, “Why did you want a Mojito?”

“I don’t know. I just had a craving for one.”

My friend went into the Rest Room and I ordered a basket of onion rings and battered zucchini strips. The appetizers came out quickly. The zucchini was accompanied with a tangy horseradish sauce. Both were good and they weren’t greasy.

A second chardonnay was ordered and then my friend asked the bartender about some flavored vodkas. She asked him to make me a martini. I debated and ordered a chocolate one. The bartender pulled out a cold martini glass and made me a martini.
I quickly tasted it and thought..dessert! Yeah…it was that good.

This was probably the fourth time I had sat at a bar and mainly drank. It was different and fun. For the first time, in a long, long time, I sat with a friend at a bar and laughed and talked with her and the bartender.

Why? It was just something that was different for me. It was fun. A Chocolate Martini---my new drink. Goodbye Jager (Jagermeister) and hello Chocolate Martini!

No comments:

Post a Comment