Monday, May 7, 2012

Grandson's First Communion


Last Sunday, I attended my grandson, Tyler’s, First Holy Communion. He along with five other second graders received Holy Communion for the first time. Tyler wore a suit, looked grown up and cute. Along with Tyler’s parents in attendance were his grandparents, and a few aunts and uncles.



While watching Tyler, I noticed he didn’t seem nervous at all. He actually seemed pretty comfortable for it being a special day. The priest was great with the little communicants. He seemed to really know them and had a special rapport with the children. While he talked to the children, he apologized for not being able to attend the reception after Mass for them. He had to rush to another church to say Mass. But he did promise that he would be taking them out to Chuck E. Cheese for a celebration soon, and that was when I heard my grandson give a loud excited response. Chuck E. Cheese is his favorite place to go to.



During the Mass, I actually started to recall my First Communion day, which happened to be a very long time ago. That day, the church was filled with two classes of second graders. We filled the first six pews across the front of the church. Behind us, filling up the church were our parents and families.



But the boys were seated on the right hand side, wearing suits. The girls filled the left side with white first communion dresses and veils. I remember that I spent most of the time, tying and retying my veil because it kept getting loose and I was afraid that it was going to fall of my head.



For Catholics, receiving the sacred host is the focal point of the Mass. I also remember in those days that when you received communion it was placed directly on your tongues and you couldn’t chew it but waited until you were able to swallow it. I still remember that I felt a mixture of being nervous and pure joy with the mystery of receiving Holy Communion.  Now, just like the big people, I would be one of them and would be able to participate fully in the Mass, along with my parents and brother.



Whatever happens along the way, my grandson is a pretty lucky little guy with all the support he had on his First Communion Day. I hope every Sunday, for the rest of his life that when he receives Communion, he will be filled with the same awe and joy that he had on his First Communion Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment