Thursday, June 21, 2012

Engine House #25


I walked into Engine House #25 and fell in love with it. This place is going to be the venue for my youngest daughter’s wedding that is scheduled for January 12, 2013. While my daughter was looking around at the place, I was enthralled with the memorabilia in the fire house.

Not only was the place attractive and renovated, but it will be a great place to hold a reception or a party. It has a wine and cigar floor. But it is the memorabilia that interested me. Plus it is also the Roberto Clemente Museum. And what a collection of memorabilia!

 Everywhere that I looked, there was something that elicited an “Oh, wow,” from me. There were over 300 photos and personal items. I loved the shot of Roberto Clemente’s back with him standing next to his three sons, the Golden Glove Awards, the Silver Bat Award, cleats, and World Series home plate and a collection of Pittsburgh Pirate team bats and the last Jersey that was worn by Clemente. Photos fill each floor and can be found even in the bathrooms and the kitchen area.

My favorite is the glass case of baseballs. Some are the white balls and others are red and blue, arranged to make the American flag. Each ball is signed by a famous sports figure, along with other notable people.

I found out that the Roberto Clemente Museum is an independent non-profit museum dedicated to preserving the memory and legacy of Clemente. It is also supported by his family. Visiting hours are by appointment. To find out more about the Museum call, 412-621-3339 or try ( info@clementemuseum.com) or visit the website (clementemuseum.com).

 Besides being a Hall of Famer baseball player, Clemente wanted to be remembered as a baseball player who gave all he could to others. As a player and humanitarian – he will be remembered for both.

No comments:

Post a Comment