Saturday, June 9, 2012

A Garden of Wonder


Since I have taken a few years off from working at a local greenhouse (I am returning there next year), I decided to focus on my garden. When I worked at the greenhouse, I spent months planting baby plugs that would grow into flowering plants. Actually I started planting in February. It is during those cold winter months that those beautiful annuals and perennials begin to grow.



The high point for me is during those dark cold months of the year when I walk into the hot greenhouse and see those beautiful plants blooming. The flowers are the size of a fingernail but it always affects me the same way seeing those tiny plants blooming in colors of purple, pink, yellow or pristine white, it  lifts my spirits up. Their beauty excites me, and I feel joy and happiness knowing that I was responsible in nurturing those baby plants.



The beauty of the greenhouse continues on and on. I have spent hours planting and watering. To water the plants is necessary for their survival. But usually by the time I come home, I am too tired to water, weed or maintain my own garden.



But this year I have refocused myself on my garden. I am trying to keep ahead of the weeds. I have been diligent with the watering. I love to see what will bloom next. So far I haven’t been disappointed…I have watched my plants take turns blooming one after the other like the crocus, daffodils,  tulips, forget-me-nots, lilies of the valley, bleeding hearts, lilac tree, and the false indigo plants.



I have given a little of my time to my garden. Right now, my garden has given me more in return. I notice that my wooden arbor is full of buds that are opening into a mix of the white clematis and red roses that I have planted together. Next I will be ready for my hydrangeas – pinky winky and the greenish white limelights, which will bloom for the summer and I’ll be able to cut, dry the flowers and arrange them in different pots and vases to enjoy, during the winter months.



I can’t wait for my butterfly bush to bloom along with my shasta daisies, purple coneflowers, and black-eyed Susans. In between those flowering perennials are the aromatic smell of the herbs…Rosemary, basil, parsley and fennel.



My gardens is filled with surprises. I intend to enjoy it to the fullest this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment