Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Little Way of Ruthie Leming


Don’t always judge a book by its cover. Book covers are supposed to catch the reader’s eye. Unfortunately, I have bought books solely because the cover or book jacket caught my eye. Sometimes, the books were good. But, more often they weren’t. I have been burnt and have come across a number of books that were real lemons. After reading a few pages, I closed the book in disgust, and placed it in my discard pile

 

Recently, a friend lent me a book to read, The Little Way of Ruthie Leming: A Southern Girl, a Small Town, and the Secret of a Good Life. The book was written by Rod Dreher, a journalist, who goes back to his hometown, following the death of his sister Ruthie from cancer.

 

Dreher could have done a better job of showing and writing more about the wonderful ordinary life that his sister lead in their hometown, and pointing out more about her life as a mother and a teacher. Instead, I learned and read more about Rod Dreher then about Ruthie. I wanted to know more about Ruthie, and less about Rod.

 

When I looked at the information on the inside of the book jacket, I realized that because Rod is a professional journalist, and  his connection enabled him to get this book published. Maybe the author could use some more lessons from his sister and become a bit more humble in his life.

 
FYI – the cover of the book is a nice, appealing one.

No comments:

Post a Comment