Monday, August 12, 2013

A Magician and a Parrot


 I watched the movie, Calendar Girls for the umpteenth time. As usual – it made me laugh. It really is one of those low key but funny movies. It’s a Chick Flick for older women. It’s funny but when I’m down and feeling a bit out of sorts; something unexpectedly comes along and boosts my drooping spirits, and watching this movie is one of them.

 

Sunday seemed to be my lucky day. I went to mass. I needed to go and quietly dialogue with God about my feelings. Or rather I was trying to figure out why I was out of sorts. Usually, I can talk myself back into a good mood. If that doesn’t help, I journal. Let’s say, I have an awful lot of journals, stacked and shelved pretty much everywhere in my bedroom, closet, bookcases and just about everywhere else.

 

After mass, when I got home, I read the Sunday church bulletin. Two little items made me laugh out loud. The first was about our church, St. Stanislaus, foregoing an indoor swimming pool. At first I was surprised at that fact. Then I thought that this has to be a joke. As I read the rest of the paragraph, it was about Sunday attire, and dressing appropriately for mass.

 

The second item was about a parrot and a magician on a cruise ship, and how the parrot always gives away the magicians secrets. The boat sinks; the magician straps himself on a floating board. The parrot flies by, and lands on the board. After a few days of silence, the parrot finally says, “I give, where did you hide the board?”

 

Yes, the two stories might sound not quite as funny to you in the translation. But for me, I think they were my Sunday gift…a gift of laughter. Now my mood was lightened. Thank you, God, for that much needed gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment