Thursday, August 8, 2013

My Granddaughter's Fedora


Like the main character, Bartholomew, in Dr. Seuss’s book, The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins, whenever he took a cap off his head – another appeared. My granddaughter, Mika, reminds me of that character and book. She wears a hat but there always seems to be another one close by.

 

Right now I am sitting in a car with her; we are headed for the beach. My granddaughter is wearing her black fedora hat with gray pin stripes on it and a square metal on the gray shiny ribbon around the band. It is interesting that she has two other identical hats like this one and has brought both of them to the beach with her. One is brown with pinstripes and a thin shiny ribbon; the other is gray with white pinstripes, and a thin shiny gray ribbon along the band. Both have that shiny metal opened square on them.

 

When Mika was little her parents used to put hair bands, and big bows on her head; the bows were almost as big her head. In every picture they gave me, Mika had a hat, hairband, bandanas like do rags, and of course hats with large brims and more.

 

Eventually, my granddaughter became her own hat person, wearing caps like the blue and red Super Mario Brothers hat, or fedoras, or funky brimmed hats of all styles, and of course there are the scarves.

 

I definitely have to say – Mika is her own person and has a story for each hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment