Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Proust Like

There are certain tools I use when I write – pencil, pen, notebook and the computer. The one technique that finds its way into my writing is a memory or a thought or something that evokes and opens up my writing. I use the memory as well as the flash back method.

A few years ago, when I was attending Chatham College for my master’s degree in writing, I wrote a non-fiction piece about myself. It was a piece about a mom reading the want ads and realizing she has done most of the jobs advertised. In the piece, I circled the jobs that I could do, like School Bus Driver, Nanny, Social Worker, Nurse, Cleaning Woman, Secretary and more. Each occupation hit high on my memory of those jobs that I accomplished while being a mother of nine children.

The article was written in tongue and cheek humor. The bottom line was, no matter how many children I had and all those jobs that I did, I wasn’t qualified to get that job. I didn’t have an employer or rather I didn’t come with the recommendations that were needed for the job.

After sending my story out to a number of magazines and newspapers, a year later, The Pittsburgh Press picked up my story and published it. The day after it appeared, I went to one of my classes, where the Professor pulled out my story and congratulated me on my ‘Proust like’ writing.

I did a double take realizing he had compared me to Marcel Proust, a famous French novelist. Proust is remembered for writing his memory of a Madeleine, a small sponge cake from his monumental novel, Remembrance of Things Past. The novel was published in seven parts between the years of 1913 – 1921.


Now, here in present day, I had been compared to Proust. That was a high compliment and one that still keeps me writing!

2 comments:

  1. Tutankhamun (alternatively spelled with Tutenkh-, -amen, -amon) was an Egyptian pharaoh of the 18th dynasty (ruled ca. 1332 BC – 1323 BC in the conventional chronology), during the period of Egyptian history known as the New Kingdom. He is popularly referred to as King Tut. His original name, Tutankhaten, means "Living Image of Aten"

    ReplyDelete