Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Proud Momma

My daughter, the chef, invited me along to help her set up for her food demo at the women’s guild meeting at St. John Neumann’s church.

I sat with the other 18 women who were attending the demo. My daughter mentioned to me before the meeting that she hadn’t prepared what she was going to say and she would wing it.

Wing it? Not by a long shot. When you live your job 24/7, you don’t have to wing a thing or even practice what you are going to say. You know it all by heart. My daughter demonstrated how to make two different soups, pumpkin and French onion. She talked about all the ingredients that went into the soups and how those ingredients are probably already on your pantry shelves.

Her demonstration and talk was flawless. She’s been a chef for over 15 years and it showed. Erin didn’t have to practice a thing; she has been living her craft for years in her catering kitchen and now in her own deli, Erin’s Deli, in downtown Pittsburgh.

During her demonstration the women were taking notes and writing down the recipes. They asked a number of questions. Erin had already made the soups in her kitchen. But she showed the women how to make each, step by step. Afterwards, the women lined up and sampled both, and a number of them asked for her business card.


Like the proud mother that I was, I didn’t open my mouth during the food demonstration and just sat quietly in my chair enjoying watching my daughter talk about what she loves. I just beamed with pride as I watched Erin weave her cooking magic on the audience. All I could think of is that is my daughter, Erin, the chef!

No comments:

Post a Comment