Monday, October 6, 2014

Two Strawberry Shortcakes and a Turtle





A few years ago my one daughter in law was planning a joint birthday party for her two little girls, the theme was Strawberry Shortcake. I thought that was great and started to tell her about my high school classmate who worked at American Greetings in Cleveland. My classmate was the one who created the character, Strawberry Shortcake and her cat, Custard. My daughter in law got really excited and asked me if she could get in touch with her and ask her if she would send something for the birthday party. Sure, go ahead was my response. My daughter in law did and lo and behold she received to pictures of Strawberry Shortcake. On top of the picture one said – To Berry Sweet, Charlotte, and the other said, To Berry Sweet, Mary Grace.


I thought that was great of my classmate. She took the time to answer a letter and send out those pictures to my granddaughters, who are still really excited about it. The other day, while I was visiting my son, he pulled out the brown mailing envelope and showed me the pictures. They still weren’t framed, but my granddaughter told me she still liked Strawberry Shortcake and said that the woman, who drew the picture, was my friend.

I laughed and thought how cool that she received the present and how sweet of my classmate to do that. I promptly asked him why he didn’t frame those pictures. My son hemmed and hawed. I realized that having four kids kept them busy and so did settling into a new house and my son and his wife was extremely busy.

So, like a good grandmother – I took the pictures. A few days later, I took those pictures and  other picture that my granddaughter, Hannah had drew, painted and gave to me. It was a beautiful, colorful turtle. I love turtles. I have a black turtle tattoo on my shoulder. In a crazy moment, at the beach, I went to a tattoo parlor, and had that turtle etched on my back it was my gift to me after I graduated from Grad School.  That turtle is a reminder of the sea and the Grateful Dead!

With the three pictures, I had my friend, Mickey come along with me to Michael’s to help me buy my frames. We were successful and Mickey took the frames and then pictures home to frame for me.

Tonight, I am handing the Strawberry Shortcake framed pictures to my son. The turtle one will be hung up in my house.


Let’s just say…thank you, Muriel, for making two little girls happy. Those pictures will be hanging in their new bedroom, in their new house. As for the turtle drawing…thanks, Hannah. I love it! And thanks, Mickey for cutting the mat and framing those pictures for me!!

2 comments:

  1. When I originally created the characters in the Strawberry Shortcake line I was totally absorbed in creating looks and delving back in to my childhood pretend world. I really did not have a clue on how it might influence the generation at that time or the ones that would follow. I have to thank the brilliant writers, illustrators, toy designers and visionary marketers who believed in Strawberry Shortcake. FYI: we had an amazing classmates, you being one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! My granddaughters still talk about the gift that you sent them. Now, each picture is framed and is hanging in their room. But it is always fun to mention that I went to school with you and that you drew Strawberry Shortcake. Plus you are famous for much more then that. Thanks, again for making millions of little girls happy...and two especially for being so thoughtful and kind!

    ReplyDelete