Saturday, December 27, 2014

After Effects of Christmas Eve 2014



Our Gauntner Christmas Eve 2014 is over. It took a lot of preparation for only a few hours of celebration. I look in the garage at my over flowing trash cans filled with all the black bags stuffed with discarded plates, cups, utensils, bottles, cans, wrapping paper, and boxes. There is a number of filled garbage bags in my kitchen that I still need to take out to the garage. There is going to be a lot to haul out on garbage day.

Now, I am just sitting in my living room, alone, enjoying looking at my decorated Christmas tree and remembering Christmas Eve. All of my children, except my oldest daughter and her husband, were here to celebrate. But I was surrounded by my other eight children, their spouses, significant others and their families, along with some friends, and my 7th, unofficially, adopted son, who was here celebrating with us. The total number climbed to around 41 people.


When it was time to open our presents we started with the 20 grandchildren, who were hyped up on sugar, Christmas joy, and anticipation. The decibel level was high. The excitement was contagious. This year, I actually bought my grandchildren exactly what they asked for. It was fun watching them open their gifts and seeing their reaction. The excitement was high for the Shopkins, Pokeman cards, Barbie dolls and clothes, Monster High dolls, Princess Sofia and Anna dolls.



Later, I would receive a picture of  my two-year-old grandson, asleep, clutching his Captain America shield. I also received a picture of my granddaughter holding her Anna doll, while wearing the exact same dress, with a big smile plastered across her face!

As the quietness swirled around me in my living room with the down moment, I thought about what I was grateful for…my children, grandchildren, my son who came in from Philly, and hugged me after he opened his presents, the wooden cube with four of my grandchildren’s photos, the totally awesome throwback hoodie form the 80s Cleveland Browns, Kardiac Kids years, and the hand wooden gift that my grandson made for me with the “I love Grandma who is #1 awesome.”


Christmas Eve, 2014 is over but not the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment