Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Baking Cookies with Family

Since our annual Christmas Cookie Exchange was put on hold this year, I did the next best thing. One of my sons and his family came over, early Saturday morning, and we made our Christmas cookies together.

My son, Patrick, brought along his wife, Pam, and their four children, and all of their cookie ingredients for Chocolate Chip Cookies and Butterscotch Cookies. While my son was measuring out his ingredients, my granddaughter, Bayleigh, formed my Italian cookies. After all the cookies were baked and cooled, Bayleigh dipped the cookies into the anise frosting I had made, while my grandson, Tyler, decorated each with a variety of sprinkles. One thing for sure is that you can never have too many sprinkles on a cookie!



In no time, my cookies were done and so were my son’s cookies. Each of us shared the cookies. I placed mine in the freezer. Now, when I make coffee, I can sneak out two of my son’s cookies and indulge myself!




In between the cookies, we talked, played games, and munched on our snacks and cookies. This was rounded out with a pizza and barbeque wings.

This is now (hopefully) going to be something that we do together next year, regardless if we have a cookie exchange. I already have it on my December 2015 schedule of things to do.


I realized that it is not the big things that matter but it is the little things. Sharing a whole day with my son and his family made all that hectic time stop. It was fun and relaxing and added to my December memories for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment