Monday, April 20, 2015

Shopping for a Prom Dress


It’s April…and that means proms and prom dress shopping!

I remember going prom dress shopping with my daughters. With my oldest daughter, it would be a trip to the mall to look for dresses. I also thought that it would be a nice bonding experience but it never turned out that way. We would go to the mall and look in every store, at every dress, at least twice. One can never be too picky. Add bridal shops as well. The dress was either too big, too little, not the right shade or color, too cheap or whatever. But it was never too expensive! The oddity of it all is that it would always be the first dress or second dress that we would see and eventually buy, but only after two or three times around the mall. I don’t remember if we bought the accessories as well because I was too tired and traumatized by this bonding experience. Oh, I had to be careful not to like the dress because if I did, my daughter wouldn’t. I just was verbal if it was too revealing.

I don’t remember if I had the same experience with my two younger daughters but I am leaning toward the fact that I didn’t or I am in the beginning of dementia.

But this Friday, my granddaughter called and said that instead of Sunday, she and her mother and my youngest daughter were headed to the Mall to look for prom dresses. The prom was next week and she needed that dress.

There wasn’t that many stores but we started at Penney’s (they didn’t have any prom dresses), then it was Sears, Cache, Macy’s and Nordstrom’s. My granddaughter found her dress at the second store, where she tried on a few dresses and set aside the one she liked. Then we went to the other three stores. Let’s just say, she was easy to shop with but I did have a de ja vu moment. It was a flash back to the old days with my daughter. I guess she was right…you have to look at every store and every dress before you make that decision. This time, I found that it was more fun without the drama and stress.

We ended the evening at Mad Mex. I have to say that frozen Margarita hit the spot! But I can’t wait to see my granddaughter when she dresses up to go to her prom next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment