Monday, June 20, 2016

The Drought is Over for Cleveland





The last time Cleveland has seen a championship team and win was in 1964. There has been a 52 year drought for the town, with their football, baseball and basketball teams coming up short. They have come close to a win but with the infamous drive, fumble, shot, and last inning let down - those elusive championship rings and titles were snatched from the teams and the town.

I grew up in Cleveland and have been a Browns, Indians, and Cavs fan my whole life, despite moving away from Cleveland when I got married. I have lived in Pittsburgh for almost 40 years and have lived where there have been lots of championships won by the sports teams. I know what a winning team looks like. I also know how it feels to cheer one on and have Mondays be happy ones during the football seasons. I have watched the parades and celebrations on the local television.

As a Cleveland fan…I have high hopes before the sport seasons begin, only to face disappointment and echo what every other Cleveland fan says, “Wait until next year!”

But last night was different. I watched the Cavs play the Golden State Warriors and when Cleveland was down 3-1 in the series…I wished and hoped for a miracle. I didn’t want to face another year without that championship feeling. Game 5, 6, and 7 saw a different Cavs team. I saw a different LeBron James. I saw pure determination and concentration on his face. I know when he left to play with the Miami Heat; I was upset and disappointed in him. I have come to realize, that he needed to leave and win championships. After two back to back wins, he came back home. LeBron, who is from Akron, Ohio, came back home and back to the Cavs. He promised a championship and he set one up.

Last night, I not only set my DVR to record the game but I watched it live and then re-watched it, again. I was nervous and when the last second ticked off the clock…I opened my window and screamed my head off. The drought was over, the curse was lifted and the Cavs brought home a championship to a city and its loyal fans, after 52 years. I finally found out what it meant to feel happy and have a championship team. It felt awesome and it felt good.

Thanks to the Cavs for that awesome feeling. But mostly, thank you LeBron for coming back home and fulfilling a promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment