Saturday, June 17, 2017

Paintings at Vassar





I was looking forward to my trip to Rockport, Massachusetts. My traveling friend is great at planning our itinerary and I always looking forward to seeing and doing everything that is on our list. I always told her that she should be a travel agent because she is great at what she does.

Our first stop was to Vassar College to see the college museum, The Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center. I thought that we would find a small gallery and see a few art pieces from their collection but boy was I in for a shock! Their art collection and art center was top notch!

First let me say, that for some time I have been struggling with religion but when I stood in from of the artist, Francesco de Mura’s delicate and exquisite paintings…something stirred inside of me. The quietness and beauty of his Madonna, with her rosy cheeks, holding her baby, Jesus moved me. I loved de Mura’s use of colors – they were deeper and more striking then his own master and mentor, Francesco Solimena.

Francesco de Mura was an Italian painter during the late-Baroque period. About one third of de Mura’s work was destroyed along with other paintings, sculpture, books, manuscripts, and 200 citizens who took refuge in the Italian Abbey of Monte Cassino. The American bombs were largely responsible for the destruction.

Some of his work that survived was now on loan at the Vassar Museum and I know that the story of what was lost and seeing his paintings left a big impression on me.

Other paintings that were in the museum included the Hudson River Painters (one of my personal favorite groups). I also found paintings by Picasso, O’Keefe, van Kooning, Muro, Hartley and a number of others

If you are ever around Vassar, the museum is free. Stop in and view these glorious painting gems at the Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center on the campus of Vassar College. I was lucky to have a friend plan our first stop there. This was the first day of my trip and I can’t wait to see what the other days bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment