Sunday, June 25, 2017

Sleepy Hollow Cemetery





On one of our early visits before we checked into our vacation rental in Rockport, Massachusetts,we stopped at Concord, Massachusetts, and toured Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. Sleepy Hollow Cemetery is on 119 acres of land and was laid out indifferent phases from 1823 to 1998, in Concord.

I like walking in cemeteries and taking photos. Maybe that’s why the Grateful Dead is one of my favorite music groups.


Sleepy Hollow was a pastoral looking and beautiful cemetery. My friend’s and my main objective was to find Author’s Ridge. With a few missteps, we found it up a hill and on a grassy knoll.

 



If you are an aspiring author, like I am, I know that you would have been delighted to find yourself on Author’s Ridge. I couldn’t have been more excited spotting all of those famous authors that were buried there with their families. There was Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Louisa May Alcott (some familiar names from my deck of Author’s Cards).

 



Once I spotted the author’s graves and the family plots, I could see that other visitors had been by to pay their homage and respect to these great writers. On each author’s grave there was some type of momento that was left – feathers, pencils, notebook, stones, acorns, and other things. After seeing the mementos stacked up, it brought a smile to my face. Not wanting to leave, I found some stones and acorns and placed those on the authors’ graves, while I thanked each of them for writing and opening the world of books to me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment