Thursday, August 2, 2018

Clyde Butcher: American Photographer, Artist, and Environmentalist




While on my vacation in Florida, I spent a few hours going through the cool shops in Sarasota. One of the shops was the St. Armands Art Gallery. What pulled me into the gallery were the massive framed black and white landscaped photographs. At first I thought the photographer of the photos was Ansel Adams.

A few steps inside I saw an old fashioned camera on a pedestal. It was beautiful, old and the wood gleamed in the sunlight that streamed through the door. The camera took my breath away. I loved it. I loved cameras and it reminded me of my original Yashica camera that I used as an undergrad at Kent State where I majored in Journalism.

A man, who worked in the gallery. walked over to me and we started to talk about the photographs. He then proceeded to give me a crash course, 101, about the camera and the photographer called Clyde Butcher!

Clyde Butcher is an American photographer, artist and environmentalist. He is famous in Florida for his large photographs of the wilderness of the Florida landscape. Butcher was born in 1942 and he was from Kansas City, Missouri. He is a photographer who used to shoot his photos in color. When his son was killed, he ended up spending time in the wilderness where he used his over sized camera taking black and white shots.


Butcher, who is revered in Florida, earned numerous awards, like the Florida Artist Hall of Fame Award, Ansel Adams Award from the Sierra Club, North American Nature Photographer Association Lifetime Achievement Award in Nature Photography and many others.

As I walked around the gallery, I felt very small and very humble amidst these huge landscape photos. I finished my tour, bought a book, and two black and white photo cards. Now I know a little bit about Clyde Butcher. I hope that I see more of his work. I not only discovered his works but I learned about the man thanks to the man who gave me a crash course in him. At least, I have a book to read about him with some of his photographs.


I hope to see more of his work, even if it means going back to Florida to visit his gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment