Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Defending the Caveman


Recently I attended a one man comic play, Defending the Caveman at the Cabaret. To say the least, it was very funny. I along with a friend, and the audience of men and women, laughed myself silly during the whole play.

I have to admit that the play was like reading the book; Men are from Mars, Women from Venus by John Gary. And yes, for anyone who hasn’t realized it yet – men and women are definitely different. I don’t mean just physically different. Men and women live in their own worlds and by their own lingo and word meanings.

Vince Valentine who played the title role was hilarious. The perfect way that he delivered his lines, was what made him so funny.. He fit the type, Caveman in a modern, bearish kind of way. Even though you might disagree with him, you still would want to be around him, to see if you could rehabilitate him. Don’t bother. Besides that he was funny, he handed out quite a few gems of the differences between the sexes: men are hunters and can only focus on one thing at a time like watching television, eating, and drinking beer, sitting with his buddies and not saying a word. (I have grouped these activities together because it makes a lot of sense to me.) Men are really good at tuning women out. So true, but then women are great at tuning out kids. Women are gatherers, who pull in bits of information from all their encounters and they definitely are multi taskers and bond easily with other women. Women love shopping, men do not. Men love to control the remote control and they do it well, standing in front of the screen. Women would rather talk.

But from living with men…like an ex and my six sons, I know what it’s like to cook a meal and eat alone or in silence. I know sometimes after cooking a meal, that person comes home and isn’t hungry. From a close friend, I know when her husband came home from the office, he went off to his Man Cave, and ate dinner alone, in front of the television without saying a word. I definitely preferred the Man Cave in the play form for the 1-1/2 hours with appetizers, a drink and an intermission, along with laughter and tears sliding down my cheeks.

Yes, men and women are different and that is one of the simple facts of life and both sexes need to accept this and don’t even bother trying to change it or figure it out.

I do have one question…if a Man Cave, why not a Woman Cave? Let’s just leave it at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment