Saturday, October 15, 2011

Nothing is Easy


Every time I am asked to babysit, I usually say yes. But there are times when I have other plans and I say no. The other day my one son asked me if I would pick his son up from football practice. Since I had nothing planned, and knew exactly where the field was, I said, “Yes.”

I wanted to get to the field early and then it started to pour. I figured they would still have football practice, so I left but had to stop for gas, because my tank was running on fumes. Then it really started to pour and I heard the sounds of thunder rumbling above. I stepped on the gas and drove toward the field and made the detour. It was now getting dark and like older people, I hate driving in the dark because it is hard to see. I followed the detour sign but when I got to my last turn…I made a left and found myself going the wrong way. I realized…I blew it. I had to follow through on the wrong route, until I could safety turn around.

After I turned around…I saw lightning and stepped on the gas because I was afraid that I wouldn’t make it to the field on time. The scenic detour didn’t help matters and my blood pressure was rising.

I found all my landmarks, the field and I saw the football team huddled under cover, sitting on the picnic table. I stood in the now light drizzle, so that my grandson would know that I was here.I listened to the coaches; all eight of them give their pep talks. The first mentioned the importance of playing and beating their opponents, who would not roll over and play dead. He also invoked Madison Square Garden and alluded to Ali and Fraser. I am thinking…what the h#**? You are talking to 10 and 11 year old kids, who are wiping the snot off their nose and looking around, and don’t even understand what you are saying. Each coach said hia piece, and then the head coach yammered some more. One would have thought they were preparing the Steelers for their Super Bowl game.

Afterwards, my grandson received the star stickers to put on his helmet, we started to drive home, when my grandson said, “I am hungry."

I suggested, “McDonald’s?”

“No, that makes me puke."

I said, "That would make me puke. So, I gather Wendy’s is off the menu, too?”

“Yes,” he said. “How about Arby’s?”

“Well that is across six lanes of traffic, in the opposite direction. I will have to turn around."

“Would Taco Bell be easier?” he suggested.

"Sure would since it is up ahead on the right."

He wanted six tacos…which one gets for two dollars. His order was six tacos with only cheese, and this from a kid who barely eats. And he ate at least two on the drive home. When we got to his house, no one was there. So, we sat in my car, in the rain while he ate and we talked.

After 30 minutes my daughter in law drove up and apologized for being late. “Hey no problem…it gave me some one-on-one time with my grandson.”

Anyway, the nest time I am asked to pick up my grandson, I need to get more information like maybe the time, who will be home and can you leave a key?

3 comments:

  1. Still think this is a very funny story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew said... Thank you for the 6 just cheese tacos. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was my pleasure. I had fun with Matt.

    ReplyDelete