Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Farmers Market at Shaker Square


I love going to the outdoor Farmer’s Market at Shaker Square, in Cleveland, Ohio, regardless of the time of the year. There is nothing better then walking around outdoors and viewing the fresh, fruits and vegetables. I wasn’t disappointed seeing the brightly green colored zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, peppers, onions, edamame, different types and varieties of tomatoes and mushrooms. Since this is apple season, I was able to choose from a few different types of apples: McIntosh, Honey Crisp, Cortland or Jonagold.

This is the 17th year that the Farmers Market has been at Shaker Square. I love going any time that I am visiting my friend in Cleveland. There are always different types of flowers for the different seasons. I especially loved the late spring flowers. One in particular that caught my eye was the deep red cockscomb flower. I passed that up and bought a tiny baby tear plant in a terra cotta pot. As usually, there are lots of vendors at the farmers market selling donuts, kettle corn, and bundles of brightly colored flowers, and potted plants. There were also different types of cheeses, artisan bread, fresh poultry, hand made jewelry, and pottery items.

Stopping by the Amish stalls one could buy their homemade jellies and pies. One other table even had a man who sharpened knives. I wish that I had realized that because I would have brought some of my cooking knives from home.

The one table where miniature desserts were displayed on small antique plates, especially caught my eye. I had to buy two of those delicious homemade desserts. One was a miniature pear tart and the other was a miniature lemon tart. I ate half of each dessert later in the evening and was not disappointed. The pear tart had a wine flavor and the lemon tart was delectably tangy. They were both delicious.

All in all, walking around the farmer’s market, sampling and buying whatever caught my fancy, was a delightful way to spend a few pleasant hours on a beautiful Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment