Friday, October 28, 2011

St. Paul's Shrine


I finally accomplished something that I have wanted to do for a very long time. I attended Sunday mass at St. Paul’s Shrine, located on Euclid and East 40th Street in Cleveland, Ohio.

A few years ago, I read a book about St. Paul’s Shrine called, Stalking the Divine by Kristin Ohlson. This is a treasure of a book that I have read a number of times. I have given this book as gifts to a few of my friends, and even blogged about St.Paul’s, last year. Now, I finally participated at mass. Before I went inside the church for a visit, I stood on the steps of the church, soaking in the perfect day. The sun was out, the sky was a beautiful blue and the temperature was just right. On their way inside the church, four people greeted me, adding to my already positive attitude.

The church itself is beautiful. It is a fine example of Victorian English country gothic architecture. From the mid 1800s to the early 1900s, the church was situated in the midst of Millionaires Row, with the likes of John D. Rockefeller, Jeptha Wade, benefactor and founder of Western Union Telegraph Company, Alfred Atmore Pope, iron industrialist and art collector, as well as many others.

The interior of the church is just as spectacular. The church is wide and not quite so long, giving the congregation the feeling of being close to the altar. There are a series of columns and gothic arches with gold leaf throughout and period colors on the walls and ceilings. The ceiling has beautiful carved beans, which drew my eyes upward. The stained glass windows are exquisite. The focal point of the altar is the Holy Eucharist, which is exposed in the monstrance (a vessel), beneath a gold canopy.

To the right of the altar, is a walnut carved screened area with full figures of wooden angels standing guard along the top. Inside were the Cloistered Poor Clares. Their voices carried throughout the church, like invisible angels singing in a surround sound.

I felt at ease and totally happy in my surroundings. I was at home in this simply gorgeous but peaceful church. Father Andrew, a Franciscan Capuchin Priest, said a wonderful mass. His homily was poignant and the comfortable way he talked to us, made me feel as if I was not a visitor but an old member of the congregation.

This was one Sunday mass where I experienced a close intimacy with God. It was one of the special days, where all my senses seemed to be fully alive. I felt like I spent my time in a very holy place.

If you live in Cleveland, it is worth a trip to historic St. Paul’s Shrine located at 4120 Euclid Avenue.

1 comment:

  1. I know the physical part of a church should not set the mood -- but St. Paul's has always had such a special influence on me. I went there often as a little girl, and my brothers served Mass. Then as a young woman after Sunday Mass it was across the street to ice skate at the Arena. Lots of years ago but seems like yesterday.

    ReplyDelete