Sunday, March 4, 2012

Give me a Reason to Read Jane Austen

I don’t remember if I ever read Jane Austen when I was younger? I like to think that I did. Since my brain has aged and is fuzzy at times, I really am not sure.

A few years ago, a delightful book and then movie called The Jane Austen Book Club, became popular. I read the book, and loved it. Then I saw the movie and loved it even more and bought it on DVD. I have watched it a number of times and it delights me.

Finally, when Borders was going out of business, I came across a Jane Austen book with a number of her stories. The price was right, and I bought it and promptly started to read it. Or should I say, I tried to read it, only to fall a sleep before I read a page of the book.

My friend who I get together weekly to go over our week and share our writing or art, came up with the idea that we should read Jane Austen and report back to one another on our progress. Since the chapters were one page, I have read 18 chapters. After each chapter, I wanted to quit reading Jane Austen. To be honest, each word, each chapter leaves me acknowledging that it was all jumble to me.

I seemed to have missed the clever, witty Jane Austen. Actually, Jane Austen bores me. I still haven’t given up but I need to know – what makes Jane Austen’s books a must to read? What makes her stories, her characters, and her books so good and interesting?

Tell me, how do I come to like Jane Austen? Give me a clue. I desperately need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment