Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Paid in Food


Working at my daughter’s catering kitchen is hard work. I always have said that after working there for a day, I drag myself home, pop two aspirins into my mouth, and sit down waiting for the throbbing pain in my back, legs and feet to go away.

 

But on the positive side, my work has kicked up a notch or two. I don’t seem to open the dishwasher just before it starts to spry the water. My knife skills are a bit better and I still can do an above average on my platter presentation. I also seem to keep my apron and work area cleaner than before.

 

My perk isn’t the pay but I do get to taste Chef Jeff’s foods. I waxed and waned about his Chicken Osso Bucco in a previous blog. But the past few weeks, I have been around to get some samples of his other foods…like his Stuffed Pepper Soup. And to be honest, another “Aah” escaped from my lips. The soup was to die for but I didn’t. I love stuffed peppers and loved his flavorful soup. It was perfect and I lucked out and took a small container of soup home for dinner.

 

The following week, I was able to sample his Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Soup, where an  “Oh,’ escaped from my mouth. The flavor was fantastic and there was the perfect amount of broccoli and cheese in the soup. That day, I ate a bowl of soup for lunch and had another take out container to put in my freezer for a future meal.

 

The following week, while the day drew to a close, Chef Jeff made us a Beef Au Jus sandwich. Oh yeah…this was heavenly. The rolls were toasted, and then he scooped on the thinly sliced beef, and the golden braised onions. But along with the melted provolone cheese, it was a hint of Blue Cheese that gave the sandwich an Emeril “Bam” to it. I sat  and enjoyed every mouthful that I ate.

 

Who needs to be paid for work? with Chef Jeff around and his food samplings, I am in heaven. And if any of this tickles your gastronomical fancy…you can always order a take- out of Chicken Osso Bucco, Stuffed Pepper Soup, and Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Soup. Check out (erinsfinefoods.com) or stop into Erin’s Fine Foods, on Highway 19 in the North Hills area and see one of her take out menus to place an order. And don’t forget to peek into the kitchen and say hi to the kitchen staff!

No comments:

Post a Comment