Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Out of the Mouths of Babes


Maybe my sense of humor is keener or maybe my younger grandchildren are just developing and maturing, but along with the maturity process, they seem to be developing their own sense of humor. Lately, some of their comments have made me pause, and then laugh.

 

Since I have a lot of grandchildren, I try my best to see them as often as I can. When I am around them and we are talking, they seem to shine in the wit department. How does one respond to these little pearls, which all seem to be delivered in a dead pan tone and with perfect timing?

 

*Grandma, did you go to school with Abraham Lincoln? What was he like?

 

*Did you see Babe Ruth play baseball?

 

*Grandma, I saw your picture from the wedding…you looked just like Becca but older.

 

*I know that I’m not your favorite because my brother told me so. But you’re my favorite Grandma on my Gauntner side. Will you buy me more Trash Can cards?

 

*Hey, Grandma, where are your eyebrows? You don’t have too many?

 

 *That ring doesn’t fit you because you have old fingers.

 

*What’s all this stuff hanging under your arms, as one of the grandkids pinches all that loose flab?

 

There are lots more of their witty sayings that I can’t remember. After the grandchildren make these sweet comments, my first inclination is to yank their arms from their bodies and beat them. But, after a few seconds, I just laugh because it is pretty funny. Wiping the tears off of my face, I realize, what they’ve said is really true.

No comments:

Post a Comment