Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Some things Trigger a Memory


I live in a big house and some people tell me that I should move, because my children are grown and have moved out. Some of them say that my house is too big for me and maybe there are too many sad memories that prevent me from moving forward. I beg to differ. I have thought long and hard about moving. I decided to stay in my house because no matter if I move or stay, the memories, both good and bad, as well as the bittersweet ones, will always be with me.

 

I don’t have to pack away my memories because no mater, something always triggers them. As I sit on my chair in my bedroom, looking out my window, the day is sunny and beautiful; one of those perfect days during the cold months. The near perfect scene that made me think – on all those beautiful weekend days, I would be doing something with my children like going to the park and letting them play, or going to the zoo, a movie, museum or maybe watching one of their games.  When they grew up, and had their own children, I would be part of their weekend outings.

 

I also realize winter triggers lots of memories for me. Winter was a magical time, especially on the weekends or on the days that school was cancelled because of a huge snow fall. A snowy day would signal time to pull out the sleds and ride down the hill on our front lawn. Snowmen, snow angels and snowballs filled our front and back yard. The dryer did double time drying out their mittens, hats, scarves, clothes, and snow pants. Hot chocolate and marshmallows filled the air with their sweet smell.

 

 But regardless if I stay or move – my memories will always be a part of me. So, for now, I keep my memories as I am comfortable staying in my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment