Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Bag Balm


For anyone who has dry skin, or rashes or even needs to keep tools from rusting, may want to try Bag Balm. Bag Balm is a salve that was created to soften cow udders. The formula for this wonder product was purchased by John L. Norris in 1899 from a Vermont druggist.

 

Its initial use was to soften cow udders. Interesting enough, the wives of farmers noticed the softness of their husband’s hands and started to use the salve themselves. Bag Balm is also popular with Veterinarians and pet owners. The gooey yellow green ointment can be found in its original green tin with the red clover on the lid.

 

Now it is used for dry skin, cracked fingers and toes, burns, diaper rash, sunburns, psoriasis, bed sores, radiation burns, and zits. It is used for more things like squeaky springs, pruned trees, and shell casings.

 

Some interesting facts about Bag Balm - soldiers in WW1 used the salve to protect their weapons from rust. It was also used on the paws of the cadaver-sniffing dogs at Ground Zero, and along with American troops in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

 

The reason for my interest in Bag Balm was that my newest grandson has developed a really sore and raw bottom from his new born bowel movements and diapers. My daughter and I used Butt Paste and Desitin without success. The Pediatrician recommended Bag Balm. Strange that this is the same Bag Balm that my kids used to deliver newspapers and kept their wet socks on their feet too long. Their feet became dried and developed deep cracks, and bled. A friend told me about Bag Balm and after using it for a while, everything cleared up. How could I have forgotten about Bag Balm? I don’t know but I have re-acquainted myself with this green tin.

 

I went back to the Best Feeds store where I had first purchased Bag Balm, years ago. The salve can be purchased in some drug stores, grocery stores, farm stores, pet stores, Hardware stores, feed and tackle shops.

 

What makes it so special – maybe it is the ingredients of hydroxy quinolone sulfate, antiseptic, petroleum jelly and lanolin. Or maybe it is the fact that it just works. You can now add a new generation of Gauntners, who will be using Bag Balm. Besides that it works, it keeps the users hands extremely soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment