Monday, November 4, 2013

Freddy the Leaf


Years ago, when the children’s book, Freddy the Leaf came out, I used it for my CCD (religion) class. It was a story about a leaf and in the end, it died. I would use the message in my class – live your lives to the fullest because there is always an end to things. As I grew older and changed, I viewed fall in a negative way. Fall to me evoked death. I would refer to fall as Freddy the Leaf.

 

Then I started to work at the greenhouse. This was when I learned the necessity of the seasons and the importance that each one had on the growth of trees, grass, bushes, plants and flowers. Winter is important for dormancy and renewal; spring for growth – spectacular growth after fall and winter; summer, when the grass, trees, and gardens are in their full beauty and fall represents cleaning out the old growth and preparing lawns and gardens for the next season.

 

From working at the greenhouse I learned how to enjoy fall. I now love the change in color of the leaves. I’m still not crazy about the falling of the leaves to the ground and having to rake them up, or apprentice one of my children and their children to help me. Or occasionally, I hire someone to do that chore. But now I do love fall and it no longer represents death. It represents dormancy, fall colors, fall flowers, Halloween and Thanksgiving.
 

Now, I just relax and enjoy each season, and what each offers. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment