Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Oglebay's Festival of Lights


A few nights ago, I went to see the Festival of Lights at Oglebay Resort in Wheeling, West Virginia, with my son and his family. Ever since living in Pittsburgh, I have always wanted to see the light display. Let’s just say, now I can check this item off of my ‘Bucket List.”

 

When I was a little, growing up in Cleveland, my family and I would drive around Nela Park and see the light display there. Nela Park was located on the East Side of Cleveland, and the grounds were home to General Electric’s Lighting Division. The 92-acre campus was known for its elegant Georgian – style architecture and its spectacular holiday lighting display. Or sometimes my father would just drive us around during the holidays at night to see the lights on the individual homes in the Cleveland area.

 

Later on when I was married and living in Pittsburgh, we would occasionally go to Hartwood Acres to see the Christmas Lights. Now, because of the cost, Hartwood Acres has discontinued their light display.

 

Finally, I can add the Oglebay Festival of Lights. The lights were beautiful and spread out along the grounds of the resort and the surrounding nearby areas. Some of the displays covered the Peanuts characters with one being a four-panel of comics, cleverly depicting Charlie Brown trying to kick the football with Lucy as the holder, a huge carousel, the 12 days of Christmas, rockets, flags, nativity set, patriotic soldiers, wreaths, animals, dinosaurs and much more. One could even include a stop at the Good Zoo, by the resort, and watch an interior light show.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

My grandchildren’s excitement was contagious. My son, daughter-in-law, and I enjoyed the display of lights. The whole night seemed to tap into our inner child. Enjoying the Oglebay’s Festival of Christmas Lights with members of my family was special. The drive to Oglebay from the north hills area of Pittsburgh is a little over an hour. It is an easy drive and the Festival of Lights is a perfect family outing and a wonderful way to start off the holiday season.

2 comments: