Thursday, March 27, 2014

Greenhouse Journal: Day 4 & 5


Greenhouse Journal: Day 4 and 5

Day 4 - It is bitter cold today. Walking into the warmth of the greenhouse is an unexpected joy. Before I could get into the greenhouse I had to run a few errands. Finally I sign into work at 1:00. I go into Greenhouse 2 and find a huge shipment of plants laid out on the planting benches. I follow the directions and start to plant geraniums in 6” pots and in 4” pots. The plants are in different colors like splash, lavender, white, dark red, and light pink. When I am finished I begin planting two different dahlias in both pot sizes.




Right now everything is planted in House 2 because it is too cold to work in Greenhouse 5. The rest of the plant order will go into that house tomorrow. I continue all my planting assignment, determined to finish them off.

I sign out at 5:00. I feel good knowing that we put a dent into the plant shipment. This shipment was a late one. Tomorrow will be another day and another challenge.




Day 5 - I arrive and sign in at the greenhouse, and start planting Spikes in Greenhouse 4. When I finish, I go over to Greenhouse 5. I need to bring over the plug trays and plant labels with me. Finally I am ready to start all the planting and there is a lot of head of me. I plant in 4” terra cotta pots. I work from 9-3:30, only taking a 15 minute break. I am determined to finish the shipment before I sign out.




By the end of the day, I have planted: Duranta, three different types of Sweet Potato Vine, Verbena in twisted pink and deep purple, Superbells, Cleome, Dahlia, Helichrysum, light pink Double Impatiens, Ipomoea, two different varieties of Lobelia, and two types of Angelonia, Scaveola, and Lantana.

I enjoy that I am in the warmth of the greenhouse, and that I am working alone with music playing on the radio. Every once in a while I will come across a small plug with the beginning of a small bud, blooming. That bud is amazing to see, and another perk of working in the greenhouse.

At 3:30, I look around and to my amazement: I have planted the entire shipment of plants. I water in the plants, clean up, and sign out. I am tired but pleased with my day. Next week, more plants will arrive and they will be planted in flats. Flats are the small cell and each flat contains at least 32 plants. I also know that I will be filling the cells with the soil, unless someone else does it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment